Active substance :
calcium hopantenate (Pantogam®) 250 and 500 mg;
The spectrum of action of Pantogam® is associated with the presence of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in its structure. The mechanism of action is due to the direct effect of the drug on the GABAB receptor-channel complex.
It has a nootropic and anticonvulsant effect. Increases brain resistance to hypoxia and the effects of toxic substances, stimulates anabolic processes in neurons, combines moderate sedative effect with a mild stimulating effect, reduces motor excitability, activates mental and physical performance.
Improves GABA metabolism in chronic alcohol intoxication and after discontinuation of ethanol.
It is able to inhibit acetylation reactions participating in the mechanisms of inactivation of procaine (novocaine) and sulfonamides, due to which the prolongation of the action of the latter is achieved. It causes inhibition of pathologically increased cystic reflex and detrusor tone.
Pantogam® is rapidly absorbed from the digestive tract, passes through the BBB, and the highest concentrations are created in the liver, kidneys, stomach wall and skin. It is not metabolized and excreted unchanged within 48 hours: 67.5% of the dose taken is excreted in the urine, 28.5% - with feces.
- cognitive impairment in organic brain lesions (including the consequences of neuroinfections and head injury) and neurotic disorders;
- schizophrenia with cerebral organic insufficiency;
- cerebrovascular insufficiency caused by atherosclerotic changes in the vessels of the brain;
- extrapyramidal disorders (myoclonus epilepsy, Huntington’s chorea, hepatolenticular degeneration, Parkinson’s disease, etc.);
- treatment and prevention of extrapyramidal syndrome (hyperkinetic and akinetic) caused by the use of antipsychotics;
- epilepsy with mental retardation in complex therapy with anticonvulsants;
- psycho-emotional overload;
- decreased mental and physical performance, to improve concentration and remembering;
- neurogenic disorders of urination (pollakiuria, imperative urge, imperative urinary incontinence, enuresis).
- in children with perinatal encephalopathy;
- mental retardation of varying severity in children;
- developmental delay (mental, speech, motor, or a combination thereof) in children;
- various forms of cerebral palsy;
- hyperkinetic disorders (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) in children;
- neurosis-like conditions (with stuttering, mainly in the clonic form, tics) in children.
- acute severe kidney disease;
- pregnancy (I trimester - syrup);
- pregnancy (pills);
- phenylketonuria (syrup, contains aspartame)
- period of breastfeeding (tablets).
- children's age up to 3 years (tablets).
Allergic reactions: rhinitis, conjunctivitis, skin rashes are possible.
Other: sleep disturbances or drowsiness, tinnitus are possible (these symptoms are usually short-term and do not require discontinuation of the drug).
It prolongs the action of barbiturates, enhances the action of anticonvulsants, prevents side effects of phenobarbital, carbamazepine, antipsychotics.
Potentiates the action of local anesthetics (procaine).
The effect of Pantogam® is enhanced in combination with glycine, ethidronic acid (xidiphon).
How to take, course of administration and dosage
Adults: a single dose - 0.25–1 g, daily - 1.5–3 g; children: a single dose - 0.25-0.5 g, daily - 0.75-3 g. The course of treatment is 1–4 months, in some cases - up to 6 months. After 3-6 months, a second course of treatment is possible.
With epilepsy in combination with anticonvulsants, 0.75–1 g / day. The course of treatment is up to 1 year or more.
With extrapyramidal neuroleptic syndrome in combination with the therapy, the daily dose is up to 3 g, treatment for several months.
With extrapyramidal hyperkinesis in patients with hereditary diseases of the nervous system (combined treatment) - 0.5–3 g / day. The course of treatment is up to 4 months or more.
With the consequences of neuroinfections and head injury - 0.25 g 3-4 times a day.
To restore performance under increased loads and asthenic conditions - 0.25 g 3 times a day.
For the treatment of extrapyramidal syndrome caused by the use of antipsychotics, adults - 0.5-1 g 3 times a day; children - 0.25-0.5 g 3-4 times a day. The course of treatment is 1-3 months.
With tics: for children - 0.25–0.5 g 3–6 times a day, for 1–4 months.
In case of urination disorders: adults - 0.5–1 g 2-3 times a day; children - 0.25-0.5 g (daily dose - 25-50 mg / kg). The course of treatment is 1-3 months.
For children with various pathologies of the nervous system, depending on age, the drug is recommended at a dose of 1-3 g. Tactics of prescribing the drug: increasing the dose for 7-12 days, taking the maximum dose for 15-40 days and gradually reducing the dose until canceled Pantogama® for 7–8 days. The break between Pantogam® course receptions, as for any other nootropic remedy, is from 1 to 3 months.
Symptoms: increased symptoms of side effects (sleep disturbance or drowsiness, noise in the head).
Treatment: the appointment of activated carbon, gastric lavage, symptomatic therapy.
With the development of allergic reactions, the drug should be discontinued.
With prolonged treatment, the simultaneous administration of Pantogam with other nootropic drugs and central nervous system stimulating agents is not recommended.